Southcliff Reaches Goal with 157 on Mission Trips in 2017
Southcliff Reaches Goal with 157 on Mission Trips in 2017 — October 13th
by Stu Cocanougher, Share Strategy Pastor
As Southcliff’s Share Strategy Pastor, I work with partners around the world in order to discover ways that Southcliff can partners with them in their work. For some, that means financial help. Other partners are in need of mission teams to help them in their work.
Last year, I set a goal of seeing 117 people from Southcliff participate in mission trips in 2017. So far, we have exceeded that goal as 143 different individuals have been on a Southcliff mission trip. That number will rise to 157 after November’s Serbia trip is complete. If we actually added up the number of participants per trip, this number is actually higher because 18 adults went on more than one mission trip this year.
Here is an overview of Southcliff’s 2017 Mission Trips:
- January – Warren Pearson and our worship ministry brought a music team to Taiwan where they worked with local pastors to present evangelistic concerts. Over 99 Taiwanese people made decisions to follow Jesus… most of them were coming from a Taoist background.
- March – Richard Coe led a group of preteens on a mission trip to Murphy, Texas. Working with our share partner “Pan Asian Outreach” they engaged in a variety of activities focused on the many Vietnamese families who live there.
- May – Our singles traveled to San Francisco with Bryan Gilmore to work with our many Share Partners in the Bay Area. They assisted our partners with a variety of outreach events.
- June – Six of our young adults served for 6 weeks or longer as summer missionaries. Two worked with IMB missionaries in Serbia while four assisted our IMB missionaries in Taiwan.
- July – We send two teams to Spain this summer to reach Chinese tourists and Chinese diaspora families. We handed out over 1,600 Bibles to tourists from Mainland China in Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo, and Segovia. We also connected with many Chinese shopkeepers who have immigrated from China. It was great to work alongside Chinese Christians in Spain to share the good news of Jesus.
- July – Our youth ministry, led by Eric Putman, led a group to Hong Kong to engage in a variety of mission activities. From a VBS kids club to evangelistic concerts and Bible distribution, our teens worked hard for the sake of the gospel.
- September – Hurricane Harvey brought devastation to South Texas. Bryan Gilmore led a team of volunteers to work with some of our partners in the area. They worked alongside families to help them recover from the damage.
- November – Dr. Marr and a team of 18 will leave for Serbia on November 12. Please be in prayer for them as they prepare to engage in evangelistic opportunities with our partners there.
One of my primary goals is to help people of all ages at Southcliff to “Make Missions Personal.” In addition to these trips, we have many of you who serve week after week at our English as a Second Language Ministry, Reading Buddies, World Friends Café & Kids Club, and much more. Some of you volunteer with our partners in the area including Beautiful Feet, Cornerstone, and the Fort Worth Pregnancy Center.
In Acts 13:47, Paul and Barnabas state that God had commanded them to “…bring salvation to the ends of the earth.” In this Spirit, Southcliff is engaged on a regular basis in this task.
Thank you for continuing to support mission work around the world through Southern Baptist’s Cooperative Program and via our Share Partners. Please continue to pray for the seeds that were planted this year. Pray that many who heard the message will place their faith in Christ.